Mar 16, 2012

Gaming Plans 2012

If you had asked me even in university if I would have been able to plan out my gaming plans for an entire year ahead of time, I would have laughed. These days, things are different, and I find that my gaming is stable enough that I have a planning horizon of about 18 months.

In 2012:

Thousand Thrones (Every other Sunday) 

This is an expected 36+ sessions, so I should still be playing it somewhere around a year and a half from now

Emern (Every other Wednesday) 

This is a recent change, and may not be permanent. Emern used to be weekly, but we've had the last two weeks off. School is getting busy for one of the players, and I recently had a player leave due to scheduling commitments, so I'm hoping we can recruit some new blood and fiddle with the schedule to make sure it works for everyone.

Dark Heresy (Once a month on Saturday)

Curtis, the best DM I know, is planning to start coming back to Toronto in April or May to run a heavily houseruled version of Dark Heresy in a custom setting. The group attached to this game was for many years my "main" gaming group, but it imploded in spring last year, lingered in its dying spasms through summer and fall, and died full on in late December / early January. I'm hopeful we'll go from Narsil to Anduril over time.

Dawnlands (TBD)

I was originally planning to run a Dawnlands game in March, but I've been busy with the interview process for a job and some other things. Now that I have the job and a definite starting date, I'm thinking of running the game online per a suggestion by my buddy Jude. I'm thinking it will be every other week, on IRC or another platform if people have recommendations, in 4 hour sessions. I'm looking for text-based platforms instead of speech or video ones, I think. Anyhow, this'll have open recruitment, and I'll put up a post when I'm ready letting folks know.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a fairly modest load for me. I'm used to a weekly game, a biweekly game, plus pick-up games and maybe an online PbP or two all at once. I don't rely on one group for most of my gaming, which means I'm not dependent on one group's interpersonal dynamics.

      Delete
    2. I'm currently running a (mostly) weekly game on Monday evenings, and participating in the occasional G+ game as a player (well, I've done this twice so far and it has worked out really well).

      Delete
  2. I would especially like to hear about how DH works out for you. I love the basic idea behind 40k, but neither the rules, nor the verbosely described setting appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used the rules several times, and was at one point working on a massive houseruling project for them. I like percentiles, and DH has a good tactical side to it for combat, but there are all sorts of rules that no one uses straight out of the book, there's a dearth of gear for noncombat situations, how investigations proceed in the 41st millennium is not well laid out, and starting characters are too weak while advanced characters are too complex.

      Delete